Hello guys, welcome to Crypto Lessons on the basic use of Trustwallet app. In this special Beginners lessons, you will be learning how to use different features in Trustwallet.
I will also provide some video to help you understand my explanations practically where necessary. Your duty will be to go through this lesson and practice what you learn with your own Trustwallet app.
It will be in your best interest to download Trustwallet from the play store and set it up before starting this lesson. So, let me take you through the process in a jiffy.
✅ What to Learning About Trustwallet App
This lesson is focused on learning how to use Trustwallet app. So, we are going to explore the features on the app. But these features were designed to help you do certain things. Your focus during learning should be on what each feature would help you do.
You will know how to do the following after this lesson:
- How to send tokens from your wallet to other wallets
- How to buy tokens with Trustwallet
- How to secure your Trustwallet app
- How to Setup new token address on Trustwallet
- How to Receive Tokens from other Wallets
- How to Swap One token for another
- How to find and enable Tokens already in the wallet
- How to Create Multiple Trustwallet Account
- How to Change the currency of your wallet
- How to Setup Price Alerts when monitoring a token
- How to buy NFTs
By the end of this lesson you will become an expert in using Trustwallet app. So, you should take this lesson seriously.
✅ Download & Activate Trustwallet App
Trustwallet app is one of the most popular and trusted crypto wallets. If you are investing in crypto IDOs and new projects this app is the best to use. Although, there’s also Metamask, but Trustwallet is the simplest to use by far, and it easily connects to apps to buy tokens on Binance Smart Chain Network.
To download an app on play store is simple, unless you haven’t done it before. Trustwallet is best with android phones. iPhones may have some limitations due to Apple policy on dApps browser.
Go to play store and search for Trustwallet. Once it’s found, open it and click on install. The speed of installation is quite fast. After downloading it will prompt you to open app. Click on open to go straight to the app for activation.
✅ The 12 Security Keyword Phrase
The unique 12 keyword phrase is the only access to your Trustwallet. It doesn’t use passwords or usernames. So during activation, it will give you 12 keyword phrase. You must not alter this words the way it’s arrange or lose it.
The key phrase is your secret unlock key to access your wallet should you change your phone or reinstall Trustwallet in any phone.
It’s best to copy this keyword phrase and save it securely. Note that during the first activation, it’s proper to copy this keyword out to enable you re enter them during activation.
One thing you must always adhere to about your 12 security keyword phrase is not to ever share it with anyone else. It’s private and the only access to your wallet. Anyone who has your keyword phrase has unrestricted access to your wallet.
✅ Understanding Trustwallet App Features
Now that you have downloaded and activated your Trustwallet app, you need to understand the features and how you will use them. A lot of people don’t know half of the features in their Trustwallet. Don’t be like that.
It’s sad people don’t pay attention to learning but they want to be rich. Wealth is in the knowledge you keep ignoring. Learn to use your Trustwallet or someday it will cost you dearly. That day is coming if you don’t prevent this danger by learning today.
I’m going to take through the features and how they function. Since you have your phone and have downloaded Trustwallet, I will encourage you to practice this part of the lesson as you learn.
Below are key Trustwallet features:
- Send Button
- Receive Button
- Buy Button
- Swap Button
- Notification Icon
- Token List Icon
- NFTs Display Page
We will take each one with graphic explanation to help you see and practice along. Each feature may lead to more features like the SETTINGS. It has several other features in the settings. Each one will be explained with clarity.
✅ Wallet Features
There are key reasons you should really understand the wallet features. This feature not only helps display the tokens you have bought, it’s also were you can setup new token address.
Sometimes, you may have downloaded new Trustwallet and can’t find your token. You can search for it on your wallet. If it’s not there you may have to setup the missing addresses again. Once it’s setup your old tokens will come back too.
To setup new token address requires some understanding. Cryptos are built on smart contracts. So, each token project is assigned a smart contract address or CA. This address is what differentiates one token from another.
In order to manually setup new token you will need to have the following:
- The network the token is built on e.g. Ethereum or Smart Chain)
- Contract address (CA)
- The token name
- Token symbol
- Token decimal
The contract address (CA) is the most important because that’s the Blockchain identity of the token. The contract of that token is represented by the contract address (CA). While the token name and symbol are just readable identities to help you pronounce or ID the token.
But the decimal is another thing. It refers to how divisible a token can be – from a zero (0) to 18. So, a token can have a different decimal from another. The popular decimals in use are 8, 9, and 18.
✅ How to Practically Setup Token Address
Here are the steps you can follow to setup a new token address, provided you already have the parameters described above.
- Step 1: Open your Trustwallet and click on token icon at the top right side of your screen
- Step 2: Use the CA to search to ensure the token is not already set on Trustwallet
- Step 3. Scroll down and click on ADD CUSTOM TOKEN if the token isn’t found
- Step 4: Select the right network token is built on
- Step 4: Click on paste to auto paste the contract address. This will also help you populate other fields in the form
- Step 5: If fields didn’t populate, then add remaining fields manually.
- Step 6: Well done click on DONE at the top right side of your screen
Your token address is now setup on your Trustwallet. The more you practice doing this, you will master it fast.
✅ Token List Icon Feature
This feature is represented with an icon. It’s at the top right corner of your Trustwallet. If you have used the wallet feature explained earlier to setup a wallet address, you would have used the token list icon.
This icon gives you access to all the token address you may need. You can also hide tokens you don’t want to be seen on your wallet front page. You can go here to enable or disable any token from either showing or not showing on the front page of your wallet.
It’s also through the token list icon that you can access the ADD CUSTOM TOKEN feature.
✅ How to Find and Enable Tokens Already in the Wallet
If you are looking for any token address or want to make that token appear on your front page, here’s how to go about it. Sometimes, after deleting your wallet or if you recovered your lost phone or bought a new one, when you reinstalled Trustwallet you might not find most of your tokens on the front page.
If they are not showing on the front page, they are probably hiding in the token list, which you can find when you click on the token list icon.
- Step 1: Click on token list Icon to open token list
- Step 2: type the name of the token in the browser to search for token. If token has multiple tokens with similar name or clones of the same token, please use more secured option to search
- Step 3: Search with contract address (CA) for accurate identity of the token
- Step 4: Click on enable or disable button depending on what you want to do.
- Step 5: If token is not found after searching with CA, you have to add token address again.
Note that if you have bought that token before it will still be there. Once you setup the token address it will all appear again.
✅ Discover Feature
This feature is sort of silent but it has its uses as well. It’s called discover for a reason. It’s a doorway to more discoveries in the crypto world. You will be amazed what you can discover in this feature.
One of the things Trustwallet developers want you to discover with this feature is the world of crypto passive income.
Crypto has several passive income opportunities that you need to be aware of and be taking advantage of. They include high risk, medium risk, low risk and no risk opportunities. And they are categorized as follows:
Each of them has its huge advantage and equal disadvantages as well. You will need to understand each kind of opportunity to understand how you can maximize your returns or minimize your risk.
Although, up coming crypto passive income opportunities may not appear in discover feature, it’s still a starting point to begin your discovery journey into passive income.
I will recommend you take advantage of all the bountiful opportunities for passive income offered by POSITION EXCHANGE.
✅ DApps Browser Feature
The DApps is one important Trustwallet feature you will find very useful. It’s your gateway to other apps and websites through your Trustwallet. The DApps helps you connect your wallet to apps so you can do the following:
- Swap – Buy or sell tokens or NFTs
- Stake or farm tokens
- Trade Tokens On DEX platforms
The basic reason for DApps is to connect your wallet to other platforms so when you swap, buy or sell tokens or NFTs; including staking and farming, your wallet identified will be used and the transactions will be credited to you.
You should take this lesson online on How to buy tokens with your Trustwallet. The primary function of the DApps is as a gateway to the internet through your wallet. If you want to connect your wallet to any app or site, the DApps is what helps you do that.
✅ How to Buy Tokens with Trustwallet App
One of the most important features of Trustwallet is access to buy newly launched tokens. If you are an enthusiasts of newly released cryptocurrencies, you should master buying tokens with Trustwallet.
I have also published other lessons where I explained this process, especially how to buy tokens on PancakeSwap. I will include the links here so you can also go through that lesson. But here I will explain how to buy tokens through Poocoin App.
Things you would be needing to buy tokens includes:
- Binance Smart chain (BSC) coin
- USDT coin
- BUSD coin (Binance USD)
Steps to Buy Tokens
These 3 tokens are what you need to buy other tokens on BSC network. Poocoin app is one of the easiest ways to buy BSC (Binance Smart Chain) tokens. Follow this steps to buy tokens on Poocoin App:
- Step 1: Click on DApps to open the browser
- Step 2: type poocoin.app into the search browser to open the App
- Step 3: Click on CONNECT to link your wallet with Poocoin App.
- Step 4: Set it to BSC smart chain. Click on the network option and select Smart chain
- Step 5: Enter the name of the token in the App search bar to access the token information. The best way to search is with the CA (Contract Address). Using the CA to search ensures you don’t mistakenly buy a scam, similar or clone token.
- Step 6: Click on TRADE Button below the search bar to open the trade function. Poocoin will automatically place BSC coin as the payment coin on-top and the token you are buying below.
- Step 7: Enter the amount you want to spent to buy the token beside the BSC coin or enter the amount of token you want to populate the actual cost.
- Step 8: Set the Slippage to auto if it’s not already in auto slippage. Note that slippage rate defines the amount
- Step 9: Click on SWAP to proceed to CONFIRMATION page
- Step 10: Confirm that you are OK with the transaction to proceed to PAYMENT page
- Step 11: Confirm payment after checking that the bill is ok by you
if you got everything right your new token should be in your wallet by now. Just go back to your wallet and check your newly purchased token.
✅ Trustwallet App Send Button Feature
Sending tokens out of your Trustwallet needs only one feature. That’s the send tokens from your wallet to another wallet. It’s so simple to do this. What you need is just the following:
- The token you want to send
- The wallet you are sending to
- Decide the quantity you want to send
- Have smart chain token to pay for the network fee
This feature is primarily for transferring your tokens from your Trustwallet to any other Blockchain wallet.
Note that in Blockchain, you can only send a token to a corresponding token wallet. I mean, you can only send Bitcoin to a Bitcoin wallet address. If you send Bitcoin to an Ethereum address, you will automatically lose that Bitcoin. And such mistake is irreversible.
✅ Steps to Send Tokens to Other Wallets
- Step 1: Click on the token you want to send out to another wallet
- Step 2: Click on SEND button to open the send functions.
- Step 3: Paste the wallet address you want to send token to (Note that the address must be correct. Any mistake will cause you to lose money. Copy correctly the address you are sending tokens to and paste properly inn the right box).
- Step 4: enter the quantity you want to send or click on MAX to send everything in your wallet.
- Step 5: Click on CONTINUE at the top right of your screen to move to confirmation page
- Step 6: Click CONFIRM to complete the transfer.
And your tokens will be transferred to the specified wallet address. The receiver can then confirm receipt. But note that Blockchain transfer are irreversible. Once it’s sent you can undo it. If you send to a wrong address the money is gone forever. Since Blockchain address are unanimous, you can’t even identify who got your money or able to contact them.
✅ Trustwallet App Receive Button Feature
After you learnt how to send tokens to other wallet addresses, you should also learn how you too can receive tokens from others. This feature is the simplest to use since it only requires you to copy the address and send it to the person sending you token.
You are just receiving, and so you are the one sending your wallet address to the person sending to you.
Trustwallet Receive Button allows you to access your token address to receive tokens with it. Each token address is unique and different. So, you must ensure you are copying the right one for the token you want to receive.
✅ Steps to Receive Tokens in Trustwallet App
- Step 1: Search and click to select the token you want to receive from another wallet
- Step 2: Click on RECEIVE Button
- Step 3: Click on COPY to copy the wallet address for the token or click on share ICON to share it
- Step 4: Click on the app you want to share with, select the contact of the receiver and confirm to share
Note that this feature is only used when you want to receive tokens from another wallet.
✅ Trustwallet App Buy Button Feature
Another way to buy tokens on Trustwallet is to use the BUY button. This process is different from the other way of buying tokens on Trustwallet. This one is a direct buy with debit or credit card.
But it’s not applicable to most countries like Nigeria, where crypto purchase with debit cards are banned. You still need to know how this work for future use, when government will remove their ban on crypto purchase through the bank.
However, this feature only allows you to buy certain tokens. Any token that can be bought directly on Trustwallet must have the BUY button. You can also search for tokens approved for buying on Trustwallet.
✅ Steps to Buy Tokens on Trustwallet App
- Step 1: Click on BUY button and search for tokens to buy or open the token you want to buy and click on BUY button.
- Step 2: Enter the amount you want to spend to buy token. Trustwallet allows minimum purchase. If the minimum purchase is below what you want to buy you can enter the right amount.
- Step 3: Click on the third party supplier to select your preferred supplier.
- Step 4: Click next to redirect your transaction to the suppliers order page to make payment with your debit/credit card.
Note that once your transaction is completed the purchased tokens will be credited to your Trustwallet account.
✅ Trustwallet App Swap Button Feature
This feature is rarely used in Trustwallet. But if you just use it, we will explore how it works. The feature allows you to swap selected coins for another. It’s like an exchange. You Exchange one coin for another,
It must be approved coins only. You can’t just swap any coin you want. It has to be only those listed in the Trustwallet swap list.
✅ How to Swap Tokens on Trustwallet
Follow this steps to swap your tokens directly in Trustwallet if you have to.
- Step 1: Click on SWAP button to open feature
- Step 2: Chose token you want to swap for another token and enter amount
- Step 3: chose token you are swapping to
- Step 4: Click SWAP to proceed
- Step 5: View transaction confirmation page and click CONFIRM to compete transaction
✅ Trustwallet NFT Page
Trustwallet is not exploring NFT that deep for now. It’s only offering it’s simple wallet feature for storing your NFTs. You can use your Trustwallet to buy NFTs in OPENSEA marketplace for example or any other NFT marketplace.
Remember, Trustwallet only allow you to carry out such function on DEX (Decentralized Exchanges). You need to connect your Trustwallet address to any of the marketplace to be able to buy NFTs with your Trustwallet address.
✅ Trustwallet App General Settings
The settings are very key features you need to master too. It has most of the features you enjoy on Trustwallet. The SETTINGS will help you do a number of things including:
- Switching from one wallet to another
- Creating additional wallets
- Remove or add additional wallets to your app
- Activating screen dark mode
- Setting up security features
- Get notification on transactions
- Setup preferences like currency choice and DApp functions
- Get notification of price changes
- Connect to other wallet apps
There’s so much to learn in the SETTINGS but they are pretty simple to learn. Let me list them as they appeared in Trustwallet so you can understand what we are learning from each feature.
- Dark mode
- Push notifications
- Price alerts
So, we will be exploring them feature by feature so it will all be clear and you will know which feature does what for you. It’s also important that you explore each feature as you learn.
✅ Wallets Settings
This feature allows you to do three important things with your Trustwallet. You can:
- Create additional wallets
- Switch from one wallet to another
- Remove or add additional wallets to your app
Let’s explore how this can be done step by step:
- Step 1: Click on Settings and select WALLETS
- Step 2: Click on the PLUS + at the top right side of your screen and follow the prompting to create additional wallet like you did the first time.
- Step 3: You can now switch between the wallets by clicking on any wallet you want to open it
- Step 4: You can also remove any wallet from the app by clicking on the DOT icon beside the wallet to open delete request. Click on delete and the wallet is deleted from the app. Note that this feature doesn’t delete the wallet from Trustwallet. It only REMOVES it from the app.
- Step 5: To add or Re-add a wallet to the app, click on the PLUS + at the top right side of your screen. And click on already have a wallet. Copy your wallet 12 keywords and paste it into the required space and click IMPORT.
✅ Dark Mode Setting
Dark mode setting is just to darken your wallet display. You can enable and disable dark mode at any time.
To enable dark mode click on SETTINGs and select DARK MODE. Then click on BUTTON to either enable or disable dark mode.
✅ Push Notifications Setting
This features let’s get alerts on transactions done on your wallet. You just set it once and it does the notifications when you send tokens, or receive tokens, or swap tokens, etcetera.
✅ Preferences Setting
You will like this feature like I do. It provide three main functions like:
- Setting your Currency choice
- Erasing DApps browser history
- Disabling DApps from online activities
The currency setting allows you to set your display currency to any currency of your choice. It has both cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum or BNB and all the fiat currencies of the world.
You can also erase your browsing history and make your DApps offline when you don’t want it online. It’s also a security feature itself – helping you secure your Trustwallet from unauthorized access through the browser.
✅ Steps to Setup Your Wallet Preferences
- Step 1: Click on setting to open settings options
- Step 2: Click on Preferences to access the feature
- Step 3: Click on Currency and chose the currency you want as display currency for your wallet. That’s all there is.
- Step 4: Click on DApp Browser to open browser Preferences
- Step 5: Click on ENABLE button to enable browser or disable browser. Blue colour shows browser is enabled.
- Step 6: Click on CLEAR BROWSER CACHE to erase your browser history. You will get an option to clear browser, click (OK) or CANCEL is you want to change your mind
✅ Price Alerts Setting
This feature allows you to get price notifications for any token on your wallet. This alert will notify you when price moves up or down within a particular range.
To setup price alert just do the following:
- Step 1: Click on PRICE ALERTs to open feature.
- Step 2: Click on Price Alerts button to enable or disable alerts.
- Step 3: Click on PLUS + at the top right side of your screen to add any particular token you want if not displayed
- Step 4: To erase any price alert swipe the token left and click on DELETE button displayed beside it
✅ WalletConnect Settings
This function is rarely used but it helps you to link another wallet to your Trustwallet account. This features uses QR code scanner to link or import other wallets into your Trustwallet.
To access this feature, Click on WalletConnec, enable your camera to use walletConnect feature, point your camera to the QR code you want to scan and import into your wallet; and walletConnect will automatically read the code and performs the link process.
✅ Security Feature
I purposely skipped the security feature so I can treat it as the last feature, even though you will find it in the third row after wallet and dark mode. This feature holds the most important security feature for your Trustwallet.
This features prevents unauthorized access to your wallet. It’s like the security lock key. Since you don’t need passwords to login into your Trustwallet, it crated a lock key using your existing phone passcode and fingerprint (biometric) features.
The security feature will help you do the following:
- Automatically lock your wallet when it’s not in use
- Request transaction signing before a transaction can be allowed
Here are the list of options to enable or disable for security on your Trustwallet:
- Lock Method
- Transaction signing
The passcode can includes 4 digit security number and finger print. You will need to use it each time you want to access your wallet or conduct transaction. This feature ensures that everything done on your wallet gets your personal approval.
✅ Steps to Setup our Trustwallet App Security
- Step 1: Click on security to open features
- Step 2: to enable passcode click on the button beside passcode to turn it blue/on. You can also disable it by clicking on it to turn it ash/off. Also make sure you have passcode configured on your phone or it will direct you to configure passcode before you can enable it here.
- Step 3: to Set your auto lock timing click on auto lock and click on the time you preferred for your Trustwallet security to lockup when it’s idle. You can also change the time to any option in the menu.
- Step 4: To set lock method click on it and chose between passcode only or both passcode and biometric (fingerprint)
- Step 5: To enable transaction signing click on the button to enable or disable it as per your choice.
Here are ways to help protect your Trustwallet:
- Don’t share your key-phrase with anyone
- Lock your phone at all times
- Setup your security passcode on Trustwallet
- Activate transaction signing on Trustwallet
- Always clear your case browser after use
- Disable your DApp browser when not in use
For the Trustwallet security you set it up once in the security section of the app. Go to your wallet SETTINGS and select SECURITY.
- Activate PASSCODE
- Increase AUTO-LOCK time on your phone
- Choose double LOCK METHOD
- And activate TRANSACTION SIGNING
The browser settings must be reset everything you finish using Trustwallet. The DApp browser is the only access your wallet has to connect to other Apps and site on the internet. It’s also the only access for other Apps and sites to access it. And that includes online hackers having access too.
If you don’t want to expose your wallet to hackers, always clear your DApp browser and disable it when you are done using it. And enable it only when you need to use the DApp browser.
Trustwallet is number one crypto mobile wallet. And most of crypto transactions are mobile based. Your knowledge of this app is important in your crypto investment journey.
However, the security of your wallet should be top priority. With sophisticated hackers, learn to keep your wallet safe and offline when not in use.
That includes disconnecting from any site or DEX (Decentralized Exchanges) after every transaction. Exchanges are most hit for hackers and if your wallet is connected during such hack, it may lead them to you.
Finally, a lot of efforts was put into writing this guide. If you benefited from it please share with us your experience in the comment section. Thank you.